[C320-list] Raymarine EV100 Wheel Autopilot/B&G Vulcan

Stephen Cox scox1950 at iinet.net.au
Thu Nov 25 16:37:15 PST 2021

> I'm doing initial research on an autopilot and leaning
> towards the Raymarine EV100 Wheel Autopilot Pack. Seems like
> an easier installation, much lower cost than below the deck
> options, and meets our relatively simplistic needs. I have
> the B&G Vulcan chart plotter. It does not appear that B&G has
> a similar "wheel pack" offering. Anyone with the
> Raymarine/B&G configuration? If so, would appreciate
> pros/cons we should assess before purchasing.

On the basis that a lot of C320 owners seem to use wheel pilots and they are cheaper, I went down that route.  For flat water
sailing it was fine.  For decent swells and quartering seas it just proceeded to strip gears.  Rebuilt the gearbox twice, then the
backing plate started cracking from all the strain and the belt started slipping as did its replacement.  Admittedly part of all
this was my naivety in using an autopilot and not balancing the sails properly the first trip but subsequent trips it still stripped
gears when faced with stronger conditions.  Not good to lose the autopilot on an overnight bluewater trip.

If you are looking at linear drives may I suggest you go for a hydraulic system rather than one that uses internal (plastic?) gears.

I now have an Octopus hydraulic linear drive fitted driving a Jefa tiller arm mounted on the rudder stock, all controlled by a
Raymarine SPX30.  If you expect to use the autopilot in other than benign conditions, you will end up paying for a decent system.
The question is, do you want to pay for a wheel pilot beforehand as well?