[C320-list] Raymarine EV100 Wheel Autopilot/B&G Vulcan

Dell Kronewitter dell at ieee.org
Thu Nov 25 22:16:21 PST 2021

 Hello,  I just put in a EV100 wheel drive,  SIMRAD display head (with the knob the fishermen use instead of the sailing +1/-1 buttons), a NEC-3 drive (BandG/SIMRAD), and I have a VULCAN 7 chartplotter.
I had to use a saw and cut off some of the plastic clutch piece on the EV100 wheel drive since the new EV100 (grey) are bigger and the clutch would not engage, running into the lower controls.    After I cut off about an inch and sanded it down it locks up fine and stays engaged.  This setup just got me to Catalina from San Diego and back through some minor squalls so I'm happy so far.
I went with the SIMRAD display head instead of the BandG since B&G was a weird size.   The SIMRAD display head fits in the standard size.    I could not find a BandG solution which fit into the standard size which seemed super odd.    You can make VULCAN 7 +1/-1 setup on the screen, but I guess I'm starting to get used to turning the knob.   I really struggled with what to do,  but what I came up with seems like a pretty good setup.   I had the classic C320 1996 RAYMARINE setup before.   I also got a 2nd B&G Triton display which I usually keep on the anemometer parameters.
I saw some underdeck autopilot drive setups on the web, but they looked like a major undertaking.  The EV100 works and is much quieter than my old wheel drive.
Best Regards, Dell KronewitterS/V Checkmatey C320 #327