[C320-list] Engine soundproofing

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Wed Oct 27 11:25:48 PDT 2021

I used the kit from West Marine, which is foam plus some heavy material
covered by shiny foil. I had to remove a bit of the foam near the main
engine pulley, and then covered that up with foil tape that came with
the kit. It worked fine for many years to reduce noise somewhat, but
things were still pretty loud below with the engine running. The only
maintenance during those years was adding a bit of the foil tape here
and there to repair the nicks that inevitably occurred now and then when
removing or reinstalling the engine covers.

That is, until last year when the foam fell apart, letting everything
sag towards the engine. So I pulled it all out. It left behind a sticky
layer of adhesive and bits of foam that have proved very difficult to
remove. I spent many hours working with Gunk adhesive remover, gloves,
and scrapers last winter to try to clean up the inside of the covers,
and I was not completely successful.

So I'm thinking that if I try again I do not want to use a product that
relies on adhesive for installation.

In the intervening years I installed good solar panels so we now find we
do not need to run the engine at anchor often to charge the batteries.
And if we need hot water we can always heat some on the stove if the
tank has gone cold. That does not work for showers, obviously, but most
of our cruising is in warm weather where cold showers are fine.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653 (1999)

--
Scott Thompson