[C320-list] water lift muffler

John Frost johncfrost at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 07:47:12 PDT 2021

That is a common failure for 320's. The fiberglass muffler develops cracks
because of loads and vibration. A mechanic in Chattanooga gave me a
temporary fix by grinding out the crack and filling it with epoxy. That got
me home. Catalina will make you a replacement but requires a number of
specific measurements and significant lead time. You can also buy similar
mufflers from other suppliers. The volume of the muffler is important so
that it doesn't fill during starting and cause engine damage. When I
replaced mine, I used a strap to hold it down to minimize vibration
stresses. Others have also added flex hose on the inlet side to reduce
stress

John
2009 C320MKII
Hull  #1118