[C320-list] water lift mufflerl

Greg Flanagan greg.flanagan at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 19 08:49:21 PDT 2021

I too have had to replace my muffler (2015). They appear to be made very specific to each hull and engine. I bought a new one from Catalina on the basis of my hull number. They thought that would work. It didn’t. Wasn’t even close. So they very nicely credited me the cost (as they perceived responsibility) and asked me to send them my old one. As the cost to send this was near as much as the cost of the muffler, and that I was limping along (using my bilge pump) with the old one in mid season (turn around time is long), I worked with Catalina drawing clear diagrams with all the angles involved. They built me a new muffler from the diagrams and shipped it out. In the Fall I did the replacement. This one fit perfectly. As I had learned what these were and how they worked, I noted that the muffler is completely independent part. Mine has a flange which is screwed down to the hull. The old one was just directly attached. On the new one I made a rubber base from marine seal (like around the fridge door) under the flange. This takes out a lot of the vibrations that wear out the muffler. It also quietens it somewhat. No problems since.

Cheers,

Greg
Hoop Dancer #1076
Sidney, BC