[C320-list] Cutless bearing replacement

KEN GEIGER kendgb at aol.com
Tue Apr 5 10:05:01 PDT 2022

 See             https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-38/engine/props-etc/cutlass-bearing-cp-26-c-27-c-28-lt-724-c-270-c-30-c-320-c-34-c-36/
Also try Google for tool ideas.

Ken GeigerNorthern Dream  #765 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Graeme Clark <cg at skyflyer.co.uk>
To: Catalina list <C320-List at Catalina320.com>
Sent: Tue, Apr 5, 2022 12:50 pm
Subject: [C320-list] Cutless bearing replacement

I am making my own removal tool (as I am on the other side of the pond, so loaner program is not an option!)

I thought the bearing was 4 inches long, for a 1 inch shaft with an outside diameter of 1-1/4 inch so I ordered a suitable piece of steel tube and cut it lengthwise so that this will go either side of the shaft and then I will use this to push out the old bearing.

My own boat is still in the water, being hauled out at the end of the month, so I tried it for size on  a friend’s C320. Given that he doesn't need his bearing replaced, this was limited to just sliding the two halves of the ‘extractor tube’ along the shaft until it touched the bearing.

Now it seemed to me that the overall 1-1/4 inch outside diameter of the tube is actually too large to fit into the “p-bracket” (shaft support bracket that contains the cutless bearing).

So thats easy enough to solve, i can get a thinner tube with a wall thickness of just 1/16 inch and thus an overall outside diameter of 1-1/8”

BUT - is the bearing itself actually smaller?  Did Catalina change the spec at all (my boat is ’96, my friend’s is 99)

Obviously i want to pre-order the bearing, ready for when my boat is hauled out, so I need to get it correct. Its going to be expensive to have her sat on the hard whilst I wait for a re-delivery of a wrongly ordered item!

If anyone on this list actually has the removal tool in their possession, could they send me a photo and better still measure the outside diameter of the extraction piece.

All other info gratefully received.

Thanks

Graeme Clark
#366, 1996