[C320-list] GEICO

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Wed Aug 17 15:32:46 PDT 2022

Hi Allan:

Geico gets bad reviews these days on the sailing forums, particularly for some type of depreciation on partial repairs, As I remember it, it depreciates parts until, after about 20 years, they have no value. That would be distressing if you lost your mast, which basically is as good as new after 20 years.

Geico in some cases also has been difficult to collect on. I dropped Geico/BoatUS after it rejected a claim. I was using a friend’s dock when Tropical Storm Eta hit in western Florida. After 10 hours of wave battering, my boat pulled out two pilings that cost about $2,500 to replace.

The boar remarkably emerged unscathed because the pilings acted as anchors. The logic of the Geico guy was that it didn’t have to cover the damage to someone else’s property because I had tied up the boat properly. I had to be negligent for them to cover the claim!

That led me to my Allstate agent, who already was covering my cars and townhouse. Great policy at about half the price. No claims yet, but I expect there will be no problems because I give Allstate a substantial amount of business.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.