[C320-list] Problems at survey

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Mon Aug 22 08:18:36 PDT 2022

Hi Graeme:

I hope you’re not getting out of sailing altogether.  Good luck, in any case.

My understanding is that Catalina used solid fiberglass in the deck where fittings pass through, although this may not be the case for the first 320s. If so, rebed with butyl tape and sell.

If there is balsa core in some or all of the locations, it’s probably of no consequence. Balsa in newer boats tends not to rot in large patches the way it did in older boats, so it’s not a structural concern.

The acceptable procedure is to douse the holes with acetone to help remove moisture. Let the holes dry for a few days if you can.

Then overdrill the holes, fill them with thickened epoxy – tape the bottom of the hole – and redrill smaller holes for the bolts. You certainly would not want to cut open the deck and replace the balsa for  something that is not causing a structural problem.

Among most older boats, some rotten balsa core is a fact of life and generally does not affect the safety or performance of the vessel.  I believe Catalina understood this well and took steps to minimize the problem in its newer boats.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.