[C320-list] Fwd: Replacing Oven/Stove with Storage

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Tue Feb 22 12:44:43 PST 2022

When you say "Coleman type stove" I assume you are talking about the green propane canisters. How are they safer than a system that is purpose-built to handle propane with a proper shutoff switch?

The answer is: They are not safer. These green bottles are made of steel, which can rust in a marine environment, compromising the integrity of the bottle. They also have a vent that could expel propane at any time if the pressure builds in the bottle. Another problem: Where do you store them when not in use? They don't belong in the cabin. Propane is heavier than air and the bottles should not be stored below. The built-in system has a proper locker with a drain line to allow any propane that leaks from your tank to escape overboard.

I take a belt-and-suspenders approach. When not using my stove, the valve on the tank is closed, the solenoid is off, and of course, the burner valves are "off". The odds of having a problem at this point are negligible, and as others have pointed out, mostly related to user error. One thing I did add to my boat as an additional safety check - a propane detector in the cabin.

I guess what I am saying is this: if you are concerned about your system, have it inspected and tested by a professional. As long as you follow the safety precautions, the risks are low. And I would submit to you that they are lower than the risks you take by using a Coleman stove down below.

To me, the additional safety issues PLUS having another piece of gear to stow when not in use makes the Coleman stove approach a non-starter.

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us