[C320-list] Hi all - question about water in the bilge

nibj nibj at mac.com
Thu Jan 13 13:34:33 PST 2022

Hi
We have a Perkins powered 320 as well.  In our bilge there are two hoses that enter from the aft compartment  (the area under the sole just behind the section of the bilge with the pump):

1) a hose for the manual bilge pump
2) a hose for the drain from the cool box in the galley

I think the holes between the aft compartment and the bilge need to be filled (in our case by caulking around the relevant hoses) so that water from the bilge doesn’t get into the aft compartment and under the shower etc.  I think aft compartment should be entirely dry since there is no way to pump water out easily (except using a vacuum).

When we first purchased the boat, the compartment behind the bilge would fill with rain water because of a leaking access plate for the emergency steering in the cockpit floor aft of the steering pedestal. This can be replaced without difficulty.  We have also had the aft compartment fill up due to a leak from the fresh water system (in our case the connection of the cold water to the galley sink faucet), and due to forgetting to close the drain for the hot water heater.  Another source I have read about is leaks from the aft outside shower connections.

I understand these sources won’t result in salt water in the aft compartment, so perhaps no help to you.

Good luck.
Peter