[C320-list] Hi all - question about water in the bilge

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 13:18:48 PST 2022

 I agreed with Christian. I had the same experiences/issues with my '94 boat.  My sea water pump needed to be rebuilt because it leaked around the seal.  Drips were easily evident when I had the front engine panel open and the engine was running. Also, the duckbill valve on the anti-siphon loop mounted on the port side of the engine compartment leaked a lot of water initially.
I don't have a dripless (is that truly what you have?).  However, I use Gore GFO packing that leaks very little when running and doesn't leak at all while at rest.  I place a small/medium sponge under the shaft packing nut area which soaks up any small amount of water when running and then I squeeze out the sponge. So, no water transfers to the bilge under the engine pan or gets into the structural grid.  If water gets into the structural grid, it would wind up showing in/seeing from that aft hole that you see in the bilge compartment.
By the way David, welcome to the "older hulls C320 group".
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32)
Holland, MI