[C320-list] Hi all - question about water in the bilge

Christian ccaper at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 13:49:16 PST 2022

"This is our first sailboat in over 20 years and we are very rusty so
please pardon the incorrect verbiage/terminology."
Welcome back to the wonderful (and sometimes unwonderful) world of owning a
sailboat.  The 320 was our first boat, this next season will be our 6th
season of owning, and we love ours more every year.  Hope you enjoy yours
as much as we love ours.

My hull is only 20 builds later than yours, so chances are we have very
similar everything on our models.

On my engine tray, some of the caulking around the pass thrus to the bilge
have rotted, so I have gotten water from the engine compartment to the area
you described behind the bilge, with no water in the tray, when she's been
rocking on the water.  It's a real PITA vacuuming out that water there too!

For all my perkins parts, I have found everything I have needed from
TransAtlantic Diesel (https://www.tadiesels.com/) as well as had excellent
customer service from them.

TBH, even though parts can be a bit harder to find at times, that Perkins
engine is a work horse, and my favorite of the engines Catalina used on the
320s.  Mine had about 250 hours on her when we bought, and the only thing
I've had to replace since owning is the fresh water thermostat and the
fresh water pump (previous owner let old impeller fins collect at the raw
water heater exhchange, blockinging flow, I didn't know this, and on our
maiden owning sail across lake Michigan on delivery over heated the engine
and melted the wax in the thermostat).  They are great diesel engines, and
you should have many happy hours out of yours.

I'm not a boat expert in any fashion, but I've learned the basics around my
320, and if I can help in any way, don't hesitate since we have such
similar manufacturer numbers, likely very similar builds.
-Christian Caperton
1994 C320 #138 "Canuck" Monroe Harbor, Chicago, IL