[C320-list] Hi all - question about water in the bilge

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Thu Jan 13 16:15:50 PST 2022

Hi David,

A former owner (maybe the original owner?) of your boat #118 was Jerry Mickelson.  He was a fairly active C320 association member and commented occasionally about projects he was doing to the boat/problems he was having. We met him out at the annual regatta in Coronado (I think) hosted by Dick Walker, seems like a hundred years ago. LOL!

If you search the discussion list for his last name, you might see some notes about things he had issues with on your boat.  Not sure. There may have been a previous or more recent owner but they didn't seem to be active in the association, not positive about that either.

Note: https://groups.google.com/g/c320-list   (Currently you can only search and browse these discussions as they are just a copy of what you see on the email list but we're about to change that!)

One thing to note is that your hull has what we refer to as the "shallow bilge". Early hulls had a different grid liner with a shallower bilge and needed more attention to keep the boat dry.

Jerry almost certainly made the drainage modification to the grid liner that Catalina recommended way back then.  If not, it's worth investigating.  I think (not sure) that the issue was that water could collect in areas of the grid that wouldn't naturally drain back easily into the bilge. If any of those holes got clogged over the years, then maybe this could account for some apparent water weeping back into the bilge over time.  That change documentation is on the https://c320.org website.  https://c320.org/filemgmt/visit.php?lid=63  (Search for "Grid Liner" in case this link no longer works).

Cheers!

Jeff Hare
Former Webmaster 2003-2021
Formerly 2001 C320 #809