[C320-list] Hi all - question about water in the bilge

Mark Calisti mjcalisti at msn.com
Sat Jan 15 06:44:13 PST 2022

Back in 2020, we had a mysterious salt water leak. We had water under the sole, aft of the bilge. Engine area was completely dry. Turns out we had a small breach in the hull just forward of the straight shaft. As I understood from the marina, apparently some (all?) 320s were built with the option for a sail drive. Over time, that area can weaken and cause a breach. What was odd is that the leak would come an go and generally start coming in when underway. Marina thought it was jellyfish getting in there at the dock sealing the small gap which then exited or forced out when underway. This went on for a few weeks, before it started to get dangerously worse (had to start using the manual bilge pump to avoid the pump continuously running), and we hauled out. Unfortunately, no insurance coverage as the adjuster labeled it wear and tear.

Mark Calisti
Wayward 749
Solomons, MD