[C320-list] Single Handed Sailing

mark mseyler at cox.net
Thu Jan 20 16:25:19 PST 2022

Chip,

I do about 90% of my sailing on my 320 singlehanded.  As Allan noted, having the control lines led to the cockpit helps, but there is no way to simultaneously handle the helm and the mainsheet and reefing lines on the cabin top.  An autopilot helps a lot.  But it'll be some pretty interesting gymnastics if I ever have to blow the main to avoid a knockdown.  (Reef early, for a lot of reasons.)

If you search the Association website some owners have done modifications that brought the mainsheet back to the rear of the cockpit, and have photos in their picture galleries.  I haven't tried either of the systems shown in the photos.  I've wondered, If I really wanted to be ambitious,  what it would take to have an arch made, so I could move both the traveler and mainsheet back within reach of the helm.  But so far, I just count on reefing in time, and using the autopilot to handle the helm when I want to be away from the wheel.

I also have a system of lines that makes getting in and out of my slip pretty stress free.  But they only work if you have pilings or a finger pier on both sides of the slip.  If you're interested, e-mail me at mseyler at cox.net, and I'll be happy to explain it.

The 320 is a great boat to singlehand.  With planning and practice, you can do just about anything.

Fair winds,

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232