[C320-list] Portlight Replacement/Repair?

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 10:43:43 PDT 2022

Micheal P.

We are going on six years with no discernible change in appearance.

Having said that, acrylic is incredibly sensitive to exposure to solvents.
Over time even the fumes of chemical solvents will introduce just enough
changes to the top layer of acrylic to induce stress fractures (aka
crazing).  So, being careful using solvents near the lenses is important.
Soap and water only for cleaning.

Over extended periods of time UV damage will have a similar effect.   There
really isn’t any way to prevent that.

Acrylic is relatively inexpensive and considered by most to be the best
material for this application.  If you are attempting to DIY lenses, just
be sure to buy cast acrylic.   We buy ours from estreet plastics.

FWIW

Troy Dunn
Hull #514