[C320-list] bilge alarm and counter?

cinichols at btinternet.com cinichols at btinternet.com
Fri May 13 06:26:37 PDT 2022

Hi Scott,
If you are into electronic tinkering then you can create bilge pump counter from a dollar store pedometer, some thin enamelled copper wire and a reed switch (often found in dollar store door/window alarms)

Inside the pedometer you locate the contacts that are "made" to increment the counter - there's usually a little weight on a spring that acts as the switch. Remove the weighted arm and attach either side of the contacts to each end of the reed switch after having first wound a whole bunch of copper wire around the reed body. How much? Well you need to experiment a bit because you want the reed to activate with a tiny (say 30mA) current at 12 volts because you are going to attach the copper wire and an in-line 200 to 400Ohm  resistor  to either side of the lamp on your panel that indicates the bilge pump is running.
This diagram shows the layout where the relay element is the reed switch with wire around it.

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/expert-advice-archive/2017/october/how-to-monitor-your-bilge-pump

I made one in about an hour...

Chris Nichols (AmandaRose 476)
+44 7963 190 667