[C320-list] Fuel pump

Greg Flanagan greg.flanagan at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 25 08:09:47 PDT 2023

I had my fuel polished by a “professional” in 2011 after taking my boat out of a charter company’s control. I wanted to be safe after 5 years of possibly less conscientious use of the boat. This cost ~$400. This company used my fuel-gauge port at the top of the tank for access. They left me with an unsecured opening as they stripped out the threads tapped into the fuel tank. The fuel tank leaked and created a mess. I feel they were not responsible for the stripped threads as in my opinion this was a very bad way to secure this fuel-gauge port, done in the factory. The SS screws tapped directly into the aluminum tank caused electrolysis, weakening the threads. (I have written elsewhere about my solution to this.) however, I do find this firm irresponsible for not telling me that this happened. It would have saved me from a fuel mess in the cabin.

In the spring of 2020, some water was inadvertently put in the fuel tank port. (Placing the water and fuel inlets beside each other might not be the smartest design either—but whatever.)  I searched for a firm that would filter (polish) the fuel. Firms in this business are now few and not local. This was going to cost ~$1000. So instead, I sucked out all of the fuel into fuel containers (3–20 litre jugs) with my oil extractor. To get the last drops, I ‘tipped’ the boat to Port by swinging my boom over the dock and tying it down. A recycling firm accepted the fuel at no cost. The fuel was worth only about $90. This worked perfectly. I have had 3 successful subsequent seasons since.

The lesson: with such a small amount of fuel on board a 320, just draining the tank, recycling the old fuel, and refilling with fresh clean fuel is inexpensive and easy to do.

Greg Flanagan
Hoop Dancer #1076
Sidney, BC