[C320-list] Windlass advice

Albert Kitten brahmanykite at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 17:22:27 PST 2023

We removed the shelf and the veneer panel to uncover the lining and the
small access hole. Isolate the winch motor, unbolted and suspended to the
s/b side.
The gear box was fitted dry on our boat and needed to be pulled after
removing the retaining circlip and releasing the top nut. I cut a much
larger access hole in the lining to operate the puller. The veneer covers
it later.
The v ring under the capstain will be stuffed after 25 years im sure and is
important. Bearings, o rings and seals are generic and cheap. There's a
reasonable utube video on overhaul. Fill gearbox with oil before
reinstalling and lubricate shaft. It's a cramped job as you know.
Cheers.