[C320-list] Windlass advice

John Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 13 17:21:25 PST 2023

   Thanks again everyone for the help. An update:

   The capstan came off easily. Someone did a good job of lubing it 25
   years ago, and I did the same.

   I opened the sight glass and realized there were shaft bearings in the
   hole that prevented me from measuring the oil level. I decided valor
   was better than caution and put in about an ounce of SAE 80-90 oil and
   ran in windlass for a few seconds to see what would happen with the
   sight glass off.

   It was fine, so I put in another ounce and did the same. Still fine. In
   fact, It ran a little smoother. I figured the new oil would mix with
   the old and provide enough lubrication to test the unit on a short trip
   in a few weeks.

   The gearbox appears to be a splash kind, like the transmission on the
   Yanmar, so there is not a precise amount that has to be added. Just
   make sure it’s not dry and that you didn’t put so much in that you blow
   a seal or something.

   I suppose at that point I’ll figure out how to keep tension on the tail
   while holding the button down. It’s always something.

   Jack Brennan

   Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320

   Tierra Verde, Fl.

   Sent from [1]Mail for Windows