[C320-list] Windlass advice

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Mon Dec 11 17:31:33 PST 2023

Thanks for the link. That article is really helpful. I somehow missed it when I was looking for info.

After reading the article, which says the gearbox requires three or four ounces of 90-weight oil, I have an idea that I may check out, particularly because the VC 500 is old and it won’t crush me if I goof it up.

I have an access panel in the anchor locker that leads to oil sight. I should be able to remove the cap. It might be worth a try to run the windlass for a few minutes to heat up the oil, then use my oil change pump to try to get the old oil out.

If I can get a couple of ounces out, II can just replace that and go on with my experiment after removing the capstan and greasing that. I’m not looking forward to removing the gearbox. That’s a tight squeeze for me. Big hands on a 215-pound body.

Didn’t Maxwell ever hear of a dipstick?

Thanks for all the help. This list is great.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.