[C320-list] Charleston Spar Sheaves

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 15:25:16 PST 2023

My boom sheaves look terrible too but I haven't aggravated about it since they are functional enough. The outhaul pretty much gets tensioned around season start and isn't touched with my captured foot main. Then, I have one main single line  reef set up and if needed, this line isn't moved much on its sheave.
For removal of all the boom sheaves I believe the reef line and outhaul would have to be loosened, then the entire assembly simply pulls straight out of the end of the boom (probably with a little careful prying).  All 4  sheaves should pull out on the single same shaft.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 #32
Holland, MI

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 5:34 PM, Troy Dunn via C320-list<c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> wrote:   The sheaves in my boom are all original.  I decided I want to replace
them.  Some are chipped on the edges and they all feel "brittle".  When I
pulled them from the boom I noticed that the rear pin was crooked such that
the sheaves weren’t even turning.  None of the sheaves spin more than a
couple rotations with a good hard spin and the pin needs a good polishing.
  Has anyone found a good source to replace these delrin sheaves that isn’t
$19 per sheave which seems ridiculously high?  Also, we have a wire on the
backside of the outhaul.  Delrin isn’t a great choice for a wire halyard
or outhaul sheave.  Has anyone replaced rhe delrin sheaves with a proper
sheave for wire?  There is an obvious groove in my outhaul sheave.

Regards

Troy Dunn
Hull #514
Wonky Dog