[C320-list] Is it or isn't it time for a new avenue

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 08:54:32 PST 2023

I am an older former member and now lurker. We loved sailing in the NC
estuarine system, the Chesapeake and we loved our C-320. Weather reports
forecasting good sailing here are often wrong and you need to be prepared
for unexpectedly high winds. This never was a problem as the C320 is a
stiff boat and well able to handle gusty winds... until last year.

Short version, our gorgeous forecasted 16-17  knot beam reach turned into
40-45 knots of pure T labor in the afternoon of a 45 NM jaunt. It took all
of my strength to winch in the 135 at 30-35 knots and the Yanmar could
barely keep us from being blown out of the channel. Later reflection led me
to the decision that I wasn't willing to limit my sailing to light wind
days and I no longer had the strength to be safe when it got breezy. The
C320 is a great boat and sold fast, so we are now the dark side owners of a
Grand Banks trawler and loving the change.

Fair winds
Chris Burti
Former owner of Commitment #867
Farmville, NC