[C320-list] Repurposing head thru hull

ART HARDEN artstree at aol.com
Sun Feb 5 06:37:32 PST 2023

Consider the purpose of a thru hull as to how you can use it. If it is a drain, then then it may not work well for a pickup without a means to isolate the drain. Even a pickup is not the best without an isolation or check valve. How I know this is I plumbed the wash down pump on my Capri 26 to the head pickup. It worked but it worked a lot better once I put a Y valve in.

If you have a dual hose thru hull maybe re plumb the shower and sink together and change the shower discharge to a wash down pump pickup. I am not sure what the discharge pressure is on the shower line so maybe an isolation on the drain line as well. Maybe something as a simple drain plug will take care of any back-flow.

This makes me think I may re plumb Tortuga when I add a wash down pump. Keep in mind regarding the above, that where the pump is located makes a big difference. If the pump is below the waterline isolating the pickup may not be as critical.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone
Art Harden
Catalina 320 "Tortuga" E-62