[C320-list] Replacing Nav Instruments

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 18:17:28 PST 2023

Warren-

If I understand correctly, you are looking to replace the chart plotter and
the instrument heads (the displays for wind/depth/speed) with something
that isn’t super fancy but also doesn’t require a masters degree in
electronics to get working and use.    I think Raymarine is essentially the
"Apple" of the marine world.  You pay a little more but "it just works".
  When I replaced my ST60 displays I went to a tridata display for depth
and speed (and sea temp) so that I could add my autopilot without
installing a new navpod for the displays.   I kept the ST 60 for wind and
used an ITC-5 converter to get the wind info onto the newer SeatalkNG (aka
NMEA 2000) network.   Wonky Dog did not have a chart plotter so I did have
to install a new navpod for the chart plotter.  I went with an Axiom Pro
12.   It does display depth, wind, etc on the chart plotter itself but I
like having those numbers displayed nice and large.   You can see my
installation in my owners gallery.  There is a sub album there called helm.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514
Wonky Dog