[C320-list] Wheel Autopilot

ptormey 4square.net ptormey at 4square.net
Tue Jan 10 06:10:19 PST 2023

On #1037, I have also converted my wheel pilot to a linear using Jeff Hare's detailed instructions for exactly the same reason. It was just not reliable in bigger weather. The belt would slip.

I used Jeff's CAD design for the backing plates, and he was kind enough to cut the Edson rudder post arm for me.

I did find that I had to angle the drive a bit to get the full swing of the rudder but it was well within the recommended angle.

The backing plates makes a sandwich of the somewhat flimsy back bulkhead on the captain's cabin. Per Jeff's instruction I used a stainless-steel plate for the cabin side for esthetic reasons but frankly I could have saved a couple of bucks by making them both out of aluminum; the plate is hardly visible at the foot of the bed.

After one season, I'm very happy with the change.

Pat
Pat Tormey
s/v Blues Skies
Newport RI