[C320-list] Rig Tuning

Rich randnallen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 17:44:00 PDT 2023

Hi Mark,
An adjustable back stay allows you to adjust the tension according to the wind conditions. In higher winds you want higher tension to manage the forestay sag and draft. Without an adjuster, you should tune it to the conditions you experience most often. You can do that while under sail heading to weather and sighting the amount of sag and the location of the deepest curvature of the Genoa. Once you find what works for you, you can measure the tension at the dock so you can repeat it again in the future. I have a model B loos gauge, and for me the tension is about 24 for sailing on Lake Ontario.

Hope that helps some. I raced our previous boats but we are only cruising with the 320.

Rich Allen, Destiny 1995 #265

Mobile device, please pardon any errors