[C320-list] Battery Charger/Inverter Replacement

mseyler at cox.net mseyler at cox.net
Sun Jul 30 12:32:45 PDT 2023

The original equipment Heart Freedom 20 battery charger/inverter on my 1995
No. 232 has died, and I am hoping to benefit from the experiences of this
group to decide on the replacement.

I am looking at the Xantrex Freedom XC2000, the Freedom XC Pro Marine 2000,
and the Mastervolt Combimaster 2000W inverter charger.  They all match the
prior 2000W capacity of my old Freedom 20, and all look like they could
provide more amps for charging than my 2 Interstate flooded lead acid 4D
batteries could accept.  The biggest difference I can see is that the XC Pro
and the Mastervolt have NMEA 2000 compatibility, so that I could monitor or
control them the MFD at the helm (or another I might add at the nav station
one of these days).  I'm not sure that difference justifies the $300+ price
difference between the XC and the XC Pro.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these models or manufacturers
that I'd want to know before I lay out some pretty serious cash?

Mark Seyler

231 W. Livingston Place

Metairie, LA 70005

mseyler at cox.net <mailto:mseyler at cox.net>