[C320-list] Raymarine Autopilot

Greg Arnold greg-arnold at gmx.com
Fri Jun 2 17:55:28 PDT 2023

I installed a below-deck drive, and have the old ST4000+ control head.
The display is a bit faded, but otherwise seems to work fine.  Let me
know if you want it.

For my below-deck pilot, I went with the Raymarine Type 2 Long linear
drive.  Looking at the Defender website, I see the price premium over
the Type 1 is now close to $400 -- I could be misremembering, but I
thought the premium used to be a lot less.

Anyway, the extra length of the Type 2L drive let me bolt it underneath
the seat on the starboard swim platform, with the drive extending
forward above the fuel tank to the tiller arm on the starboard side of
the rudder shaft.

Advantages of this arrangement:

    The drive is attached to a very study fiberglass part of the boat
    Don't need to fabricate any plates
    Don't need to cut off the end of the tiller arm (at least for a
    rudder that swings 35 degrees to each side, don't know about the
    ones that swing to 55 degrees)
    Longer tiller arm means you can retain the 55 degree rudder swing if
    you have one of the boats with that feature
    Can get full range of rudder movement while connecting the drive
    toward the end of the tiller arm (9" out on the arm, beyond that
    would need to remove some of the vertical ridge on the inboard edge
    of the board above the fuel tank)

Greg Arnold
2005 C-320 #1054
Santa Barbara Harbor, CA