[C320-list] Raymarine Autopilot

Rich Allen randnallen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 05:19:47 PDT 2023

Paul, your comment about "autopilot hallucinations" brings back a memory.
We took delivery of our 320 last spring, and as we motored out of the
harbor we tested the autopilot while heading in an easterly direction, and
it worked great.  So we checked the "autopilot works" box, went to standby
and continued out of the harbor.  Once underway, we now were headed west
and we hit auto again.  The display was blinking so I hit the auto button a
second time.  After about 30 seconds the boat made a hard 180 degree turn,
nearly throwing me off the boat!  After doing some reading in the ST4000+
manual, we learned that the sequence activated the "use previous heading"
feature.  (manual can be found at this link:
https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_gen_96382241.pdf)

On a related note, our autohelm was unreliable over the past season.
Sometimes it worked fine, and other times it would reboot itself, or
automatically switch back to standby.  And on some occasions it displayed a
"low battery" message.  This spring I may have resolved this issue.  I used
a multimeter to observe the voltage at the control unit while activating
steering while at the dock, bumping the -10 and +10 degree buttons.  When
the motor activated the voltage was dropping from 12.8v to 9.8v briefly.  I
refreshed the connections within the pod with solder joints replacing
crimps and had the same results.  Then I had my wife activate the autohelm
while I measured back at the control panel.  I found that the switch had a
variable voltage drop each time the switch was flipped from off to on.  I
have a switch and circuit breaker on order from Catalina Direct in hopes
that this resolves the intermittent autopilot failures.  Maybe the problems
you are experiencing have similar causes?

Rich Allen, Destiny, 1995 C-320 #265