[C320-list] Anchor Windless (maybe replace)

P.F. Ross pfrstl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 12:38:51 PDT 2023

I am one who is guilty of wrapping a length of 1" wide x 1/8" thick
neoprene sheet rubber (Amazon) around the capstan to accomodate an
all-chain rode I installed early this year.  I got this idea from some
trawler cruiser on one of their forums.

I spiral wrapped the rubber around the drum in the appropriate "tightening"
direction and then secured the free end using self fusing silicone tape.
This worked fairly well for my SW FL cruising season (now over for me) but
the rubber did move around some causing a "hump".  After that, I needed to
really watch the tailing or the chain would wrap.

In the fall, I will replace the spiral wrapped 1" wide strip with a
drum-width wrap or two (12" widths available on Amazon) and secure the seam
with the rubber "flex" tape as seen on tv.  Will report on it in the fall
after I have some experience with it.

Have fun!

Frank Ross
Beta Wave #206