[C320-list] [C320- Fresh water leak

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 8 11:10:02 PDT 2023

I agree with Doug about the emergency steering access port leakage. I have replaced mine but am not very happy about the port design. The seal in not very robust.   I have taken to applying a thin coat of Teflon grease (others have used Vaseline) to improve the seal temporarily. Has anyone used a different port to improve the seal???
Another leak that I discovered was the propane tank "pan" that the tank sits down into.  The pan itself on my boat had 4 screws to hold it down into a hull recess. The sealant underneath was bad and water leaked actively onto my refrigerator compressor and then down into the bilge. It was not hard to remove the pan, clean the surfaces, reapply sealant (I think I used 4200) and screw back in place .... leak gone!  If I remember correctly, the propane tank was removed but hoses didn’t need to be removed.  However, I think I had to disconnect the bottom pan drain hose temporarily.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 #32

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, Jun 8, 2023 at 12:27 PM, Doug Treff via C320-list<c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> wrote:   Check under your Auxiliary Steering port at the base of the pedestal. Mine was leaking. As evidenced by the water pooling on top of the steering gear below. I ended up replacing the entire port including the mounting ring with a new one from West Marine. Perfect fit. And one less leak.

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us