[C320-list] Rig Tune - Loos Gauge - Shroud Size - Hull #1092

James Ingle jimingle89 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 18:09:15 PDT 2023

Hello,

I am in the process of attempting to tune my rig. I have read through multiple discussions on the forum but perhaps need some clarification / direction on my shroud sizes / tensions.

My hull is #1092 built in 2007, I have a Schaefer furling mast. My mast comes off in the winter and during the 1st 2 seasons of owning the boat, I just tuned it based on measurements I took off of the turnbuckles. I can’t say there where any issues with it but I am to novice to know whats right / wrong.

Local riggers in my area (Rochester NY)  have become scarce so I purchased a Loos PT2 and PT3 gauge(s) and are attempting to tune the mast based off archived threads from this forum.

The one discrepancy I have is my lower shrouds D1A and D1F are 5/16 verses 1/4” which is what it specified in the manual and seems to be called out in multiple threads.
The only 1/4” shrouds I have are the intermediates and the back stay

Unless I’m mistaken, I would need to use the Loos PT3 gauge on the lowers since the PT2 wont measure over 1/4”. If this is the case, what loos PT3 settings would I use on the lowers? I guess one way would be to just convert the PT2 numbers to the PT3?

The Loos numbers I’m using are
Backstay PT2 - 30
Caps  PT3 - 20
Int’s PT2 - 32