[C320-list] Rig Tune - Loos Gauge - Shroud Size - Hull #1092

ART HARDEN artstree at aol.com
Sat Jun 24 06:17:39 PDT 2023

I dropped my mast for the first time last year. Honestly I never really check the mast alignment till this year. I balanced the turnbuckles so they had equal thread. The marina sets the mast but does no tuning. After letting the mast and stays settle in for couple weeks I divide to tighten everything up. What I found was tension is important but also alignment I sighted up the mast and it was as crooked as a snake. The stays were tensioned but the mast was crooked. I loosened everything and started all over again. I started with the lower stays and balanced them left and right and then added tension with 2 turns port 2 turn starboard until it got tight and then dropped to 1 at a time. This would have been easier with two people but I’m an independent cuss. I stood at the bow with a 6” straight edge ruler to check alignment. I was shocked at how much it can be out of alignment especially at the top. I will suggest a 12 inch straight edge would have made sight a little easier. I will be checking tension with a loose gage after a couple of short sails.

Just my experience thus far.

Sent from my iPhone
Art Harden
Catalina 320 "Tortuga" E-62