[C320-list] Cockpit Emergency "Whale" Hand Pump

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 10:04:00 PDT 2023

I thought this information might be of interest to others.
I pulled my emergency hand pump out (Whale Model BP 4410 Thru-Deck/Bulkhead, 28gpm) to rebuild it (since 1993-4 vintage) and primarily to eliminate a rain leak that was traveling inside past the dry-rotted rubber boot around the handle receptacle bezel (my pump has no cover over the bezel to protect the rubber boot). I had planned to rebuild it with an internal parts service kit (AK4400) and install a new cover plate and rubber boot (DP8904).  I obtained these readily from Defender.com.
Removing the pump actually was very easy.  There are 6 flat-head screws in the cockpit holding it in place (4 that surround the bezel and 2 beneath which all thread into the pump body/support bracket). Once unscrewed/dropped (into the starboard rear-most compartment above the fuel tank), there were only a couple zip ties supporting the hoses and 2 hoses to disconnect from the pump.
However, I found the pump mounting bracket to be broken which meant I would need another part that I had not planned on.  That part (AS4409) wasn't available in the US and the total cost for it and the other parts I already had purchased were going to total only about $15 less than a new pump. So, I sent back the parts I had and will buy/install a new one (really not a bad idea).  A new complete pump with outer cover is currently available from Amazon for $152 (or from Defender.com a few $ more).
https://www.amazon.com/Whale-BP4410-Thru-Deck-Bulkhead-Connections/dp/B000FHGNRM/ref=asc_df_B000FHGNRM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241946017885&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8570877637737117115&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017486&hvtargid=pla-571845011678&th=1

The same pump is available from Catalina Direct for $196 (part Z2745).
Dave Hupe1994 C320 #32Holland,  MI