[C320-list] Refrigerator question

ptormey 4square.net ptormey at 4square.net
Tue May 23 04:10:53 PDT 2023

If you lose refrigerant, it's likely a VERY slow leak. I could not find it with the recommended dye and black light. It's also much harder to find when the charge is low (Catch -22)
I bought a conversion kit to convert the original equipment valves to the automotive type from AutoZone and used the canned refrigerant to recharge the system, which of course leaked. So, I bought a cheap ($29 Aprvtio Refrigerant Leak Detector) on Amazon and it detected that one of the original "Schrader" valves was leaking. That makes sense since they are the same thing in your car or bike tire's and depend on a rubber/plastic seal landing on a clean seat.

You can get a lifetime supply of valve cores from Amazon for $14
61 Pcs Air Conditioning Schrader Valve Cores for Car Home A/C Accessories

My frig specs say use "x" pounds of refrigerant and the cans are sold in by the quart with a pressure gage in PSI/BAR. So, I added just enough 'stuff" to get the chilling on the lower part of plate, then let it run for a few hours, then added a" dash and a half" more which brought it up to the automotive spec on the can's gage. Been running fine for 2 years BUT I do get an odd gurgling sound.

So, you can simply skip the testing and replace the most likely part with the auto conversion kit and maybe be out the $25 if it doesn't work.

Some of you might be wondering how I replaced the valve without letting any gas escape. Cuz that's bad for the environment and probably illegal. My answer is that I vacuumed it old stuff out, replaced the valve and reused it. Yep, that's my answer.

Pat
Pat Tormey
s/v Blues Skies
Newport RI