[C320-list] Activating glow plugs

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Mon May 29 07:47:15 PDT 2023

I know this post was about Yanmars, but here is some related info.
I have a Perkins M30 in my 1994 boat. I developed a serious starting problem shortly after buying my boat in 2017. I discovered 2 things. The previous owner had the ignition switch replaced. It was wired so once the switch was "on" the glow plugs were on constantly when the engine ran (burning them out).  I discovered 2 of my 3 grow plugs were shot.
I replaced the glow plugs and set up a system where I push a button on my ignition panel to activate my glow plugs (usually 15 seconds), release the pushbutton, then turn the ignition switch to start.
Starting since then has been great. I always use the glow plugs unless I am out sailing and just recently had the engine running.
I had an article published in the Mainsheet magazine about replacing the glow plugs.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 #32
Holland,  MI

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Mon, May 29, 2023 at 9:55 AM, ART HARDEN via C320-list<c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> wrote:   If you are in a warm climate, glow plugs may not be needed. However, in areas that are cool, they can be a necessity. The glow plugs are not intended to heat the engine. They are to heat the cylinder and air inside the cylinder. Diesel engines require the high temper created by sudden compression to ignite the fuel. On the Great Lakes I always use them on the initial startup. A 20 second warmup is generally all that is needed.

Sent from my iPhone
Art Harden
Catalina 320 "Tortuga" E-62
937.885.9380 (o)