[C320-list] Steering Friction

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Mon Oct 16 16:17:21 PDT 2023

To add to Troy's response, you can reduce weather helm by allowing more twist in the top portion of the mainsail. You can do this by easing the vang tension to allow the top of the sail to open up. If all the battens are hooked to windward, you're too closed off and a lot of weather helm will result. As you loosen the vang, it will allow the boom to rise, reducing tension along the leach of the sail, and the top batten will straighten out, allowing wind to spill off at the top. This will reduce weather helm.

This is an oversimplification, but a good place to start.

If this doesn't help, it's time to move the traveler down to leeward. And if that doesn't help, you probably should be reefed.

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us