[C320-list] Steering Friction

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Mon Oct 16 16:36:09 PDT 2023

With no real evidence, I’m wondering whether some of the 320s have a rig tuning issue.

We’ve had several posts over the last year or so about owners struggling to balance the boat, to the point that a wheelpilot can’t keep it under control.

That hasn’t made sense to me because my 320 is so well balanced, even when I’m occasionally sailing in winds in the mid and upper 20s. (Usually, not by choice …) Most of the time, the wheelpilot has to make only minor adjustments.

It occurs to me that I had my 320 completely rerigged about five years ago by a very competent shop with more than 40 years of experience. They have/had a great rep, and they seem to have done a great job on my boat.

Even when my sails are not adjusted well, I don’t experience anything like what some others do.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.