[C320-list] Steering Friction

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 12:45:28 PDT 2023

Michael,
In the FWIW category, I tuned our 2001 C-320, #867 to those very specs for
almost 20 years with great results. We never raced Commitment but it was
not unusual for us to sail 50+ NM days and good speed was critical to a
reasonable length of those days.. As a cruiser, I really believe that there
is simply 'tuning' and don't believe there is a difference between tuning
for racing and for cruising other than the fact that racers often tend to
be more inclined toward searching for perfection while cruisers often are
satisfied with good enough. As I recall there was a fair amount of
discussion on this point when the that information was originally posted.
If we could post attachments, I have a great shot of Commitment close
reaching in 18-20 knots of wind with a 135 and full main, making hull speed
and sailing easily with no rounding up or excessive heeling.

For us, the most significant upgrade for effective sail trim was the
installation of Garhauer adjustable ball bearing genoa cars. These made
precision trimming of the Jenny easy and I found the C-320 to be a little
fussy about proper trim when sailing above 15 knots without reefing..

Fair winds
Chris Burti
Farmville, NC