[C320-list] Steering Friction

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Tue Oct 17 15:05:31 PDT 2023

Hi Michael:

I used SSMR Rigging in St. Petersburg, but I’m told longtime owner Steve Smith has retired and sold the business to someone else.

If I were in your position, I think I would call Catalina directly and see whether I could get one of their experts on the phone. I’ve always found them extremely helpful and willing to spend a little talking about ways to improve your boat.

My experience with the 320 is close to Chris’. As long as I don’t do something stupid, the helm is balanced and easy to handle.

I was out today in cool and windy weather on Tampa Bay. 15-17 steady and gusts into the 20s with 2- to 3-foot seas. I rolled out the full jib only and did a beam reach across the bay and back. The speed ranged from about 5 to 6.5 knots in the strong gusts.

My EV 100 wheel pilot  was in control. The wheel would turn maybe 15 degrees in a strong gust or bigger wave, but mostly it was near the center line the entire time, making small adjustments to keep the course.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.