[C320-list] Steering Friction

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Thu Oct 19 15:43:06 PDT 2023

Hi Dennis:

My jib is a 130. I agree with Ferris and you that you need to pay more attention to the traveler. Maybe you can just run the lines under the dodger? I usually adjust the traveler to keep the king spoke on the wheel as close to center as possible.

I was experimenting when I was out sailing today when a thought occurred to me – my rudder is perfectly balanced, and I wonder how much of this discussion has to do with that.

I was manually steering while motoring out of the marina in relatively calm conditions and took my hands off the wheel for a minute or two. The boat tracked perfectly for much of that time and then started to wander off course just slightly.

Do other 320s do that? Or am I just the beneficiary of a manufacturing fluke?

My rudder just seems to want to stay centered, no matter what, under motor or sail. Even when the wind pipes up a bit, the EV 100 wheel pilot doesn’t work that hard until the gusts are in the mid 20s and the seas are bigger.

Food for thought …

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.