[C320-list] Steering Friction

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 16:00:54 PDT 2023

I’ll second that the rudder does seem to just balance nicely.   I wonder is
that a function of the rudder size and design?  Dunno.  I do know that a
320 that is uninhibited by a linear drive can also turn on a dime.
Standing turns to starboard are a piece of cake with that rudder.  This was
really important in my previous marina which had ridiculously tight
fairways and goofy not quite 90° T heads. (Tidewater in HdG for any locals)

Also, just for clarity.  Yes, all the Mark 1 boats have that crappy
traveler cleat set up.   I can’t speak to the Mark 2s but I will offer it
is definitely the only item associated with sail trim that I really don’t
like.    I do have the Garhauer jib car adjusters and they do make very
convenient to adjust the twist on the headsail.   We have a 155 that we had
the sailmaker lift ever so slightly off the deck for safety.   I think
managing twist on the 155 is really important for trim and balance.  If we
lived in an area with more reliable and higher winds we would probably go
to a smaller headsail.   I’ve noticed that many of the west coast boats
have a 110.

FWIW

Troy