[C320-list] Has anyone tried switching out windlass capstan to one with a gypsy? What did you learn?

Melissa&Larry Leibman theleibmans at verizon.net
Mon Sep 11 05:13:47 PDT 2023

Paul, I went through the same search process as you to no avail. At some point if the current windlass ever gives up the ghost I will replace with a new one with gypsy. In the meantime what I do is use a stainless spring clip tied to a short length of small line (this is the clip and line that I use to secure the anchor in place once stowed on the roller) to pull up the anchor when I first reach the chain at the capstan. I attach the clip as far forward on the chain as I can (usually a couple feet from the capstan), wrap around the winch and pull until I reach the chain again. When I get older I suppose I would need to do this repeatedly but usually after I get past the first length of chain I can pull the rest up by hand.
LarryEasy Going, +609