[C320-list] Opening Port gasket alternatives

John Meyers jcmeyers7 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 04:23:37 PDT 2023

I had leaks on all four main salon hatches and tried all sorts of things
including everything mentioned in this string. I have a 1997 C320. The
windows were almost non transparent with checks etc. So I bit the bullet
and ordered 4 new  windows from West Marine. I was fearing taking the old
ones out with a chisel or a sledge hammer. Actually it wasn't hard at all.
After taking the screws out the hatch almost fell out on it's own. In
retrospect, all I would have needed was to clean out the old caulk
and recaulk with butyl caulking (not tape) and reattach. But since the
glass was in such terrible shape I did the whole replacement and am very
happy with the results and NO LEAKS. Yes, it might be "boat owners penalty
tax" but it only hurts when you pay for it.

John Meyers
Muskegon, MI
Wind Chime #406