[C320-list] 4D Batteries

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 18:55:53 PDT 2024

The short answer to your original question is simply no.  It is unrealistic
to expect a single 4D battery to power your energy needs for more than a
day or so at anchor.   A typical 4D is going to give you about 110 Ah of
usable energy at 50% depth of discharge.  The typical fridge is going to
draw about 2.5Amps per hour on average (obviously a lot of factors here).
 Add in all your other basic comforts like lights, and radio, etc and you
will be pushing the limits of both 4D batteries and risking a call to
TowBoat US for a jump start.  Our current setup gives us  232 Ah of usable
house bank energy and that is just enough to get us through 2 days at
anchor assuming we were fully charged when we left the marina and a 4-5
hour sail with no alternator use.   (we have a seperate group 27 battery as
a reserve for emergencies only).    Unable to answer your question about
best 4D.   For me the best 4D is not having one on the boat.    But that’s
a debate for a different post.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514