[C320-list] Chain Plate qustion

M K mknoll8181 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 12:39:04 PDT 2024

Hello All,
New to the list, and a newbie with the 320, so bear with me.  Hopefully
this posting will work properly.

I have read the procedure posted by Warren Updike regarding rebeding the
chainplates.  Planning on starting  it this weekend before spashing my boat
in a few weeks.   I need to address a leak at the middle plate (port side)
with dual shrouds attached.

The procedure indicates the need to remove the strut, and be careful to
note the position and sequence of the spacers above the nut.  For those
that have done this can you share the size of the nut? I have measured with
a caliper, but the angle was such that the reading might be inaccurate.  I
suspect it is either 1/16 or 1 1/18.  I would like to order the proper
crows foot "socket".

My second question relates to a conversation with a fellow 320 owner at the
marina that indicated he has rebeded his chainplates multiple times and
that his strut will slide down thru the deck once the shrouds are released
and the 4 phillips head thru bolts are removed.  I suspect that he is
fortunate that he doesn't need to remove the strut to do the job, but  I
wanted to ask those that have done it, is it more typical that you will
need to remove the strut to properly rebed the chainplate?

Thanks,
Matt Knoll
#315 MaryAnne