[C320-list] winterizing/ oil change

Rich Allen randnallen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 06:33:00 PDT 2024

Hi Lou,
Just to add a couple of thoughts to your question:
Do the oil change while in the water - reason is so you can warm up the
engine first, which will let you get the oil out more quickly, especially
if using a vacuum tank.  You can do it once the boat is hauled, but it may
take 30 or 40 minutes for the oil to suck out.
I find it useful to empty the water tanks while the boat is floating.  The
tanks drain completely this way.  When the boat is in the cradle it may sit
with the bow higher and your tank may not completely drain.  You can
complete the winterization of the fresh water tanks and lines at this point
as well, or wait until on the hard.

Doing these tasks yourself are a great way to get to know more about your
boat and save some money in the process.

All the best,
Rich Allen
SV Destiny, 1995 #265