[C320-list] Shore Power Receptacle

Cheryl Dahl dahls2017 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 16:09:42 PST 2024

Hey everyone,
Timely subject, I just replaced my 50’ cord and male connector on my boat
yesterday. The neutral leg on the boat and cord were cooked . I had
previously replaced both when I purchased our boat about 3 years ago. We
went out for a sail last Thursday and that is when I noticed it . After
reviewing my electrical loads and doing the math I realized it was self
inflicted. We had brought a small Dyson heater from home for overnight use
during the winter and also a mini nespresso coffee machine.
The heater is 1500 watts or 12.5 amps.
The coffee machine is 1250 watts or 10 amps. We were always turning off the
heater when we used the coffee maker but what I forgot to consider was the
electric water heater which is another 1500 watts or 12.5 amps. ( The
admiral must have hot water) So you can see that just our small heater and
the water heater on at the same time are pulling 24 amps. I don’t know what
the amp rating is on the battery charger , I need to look that up. I am
going to watch my amperage and try to keep the water heater on only when
necessary since it recovers so quickly anyway.
Cheers,
Steve Dahl
97 #412
Sans Souci