[C320-list] Shore Power Receptacle

Guy Smith guyclarksmith at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 07:37:44 PST 2024

Hey Troy!

It was the standard Marinco 30 amp receptacle. I actually replaced the
cable plug twice before I figured out that the wiring inside the boat was
slowly burning through, one strand at a time, at the back of the
receptacle. Someone said that they thought the wire used at installation
was not tinned marine grade... The moisture/dampness in the locker must
have helped to corrode the wire. Because the wire was not ridgely supported
in the locker, I'm sure that stuffing fenders and other paraphernalia in
the locker helped to rock the wire at the screw connection accelerating the
wire degradation. When I replaced the receptacle with a new one, the old
wire connection had over half the strands burnt through.

Renegade has the smart plugs and I haven't seen any problems with them.
They are mounted in a spot that doesn't get a lotta stuff pushed in around
them to disturb the wires.

Best regards,
~g